Earth Observation Specialist (f/m/x)
Starting as soon as possible | part-time (from 70% up to 80%) | unlimited
MSF Austria provides GIS & remote sensing support to operations and projects for the entire MSF movement as the Earth Observation (EO) sub-stream in the GIS Centre. Since its inception in 2011, the EO team has collaborated closely with external partners to develop an operational portfolio of EO tools and products. Currently we are undergoing a transformation to make this portfolio more efficient in response to growing internal demand. For this reason, we are looking for a dedicated team member, enthusiastic about using GIS & remote sensing to support MSF’s medical humanitarian mission.
The position is within the Vienna Operational Support department, reporting functionally and hierarchically to the Earth Observation Team Lead, and starting as soon as possible.
- You are the first line of support & coordinator for incoming Earth Observation requests, e.g., satellite imagery, dwelling extractions, flood masks, change analysis, from across the MSF organization.
- You are responsible for Earth Observation product quality control and internal publication.
- You contribute to the development of the Earth Observation team. This includes activities like translating MSF needs to external partners, improving the efficiency of existing workflows and actively searching for & testing new remote sensing solutions.
- You deputize the Earth Observation Team Lead during absences.
- You are a GIS expert: You have a master’s degree or relevant experience in remote sensing, geoinformation sciences, data science, earth sciences, or similar, and you have been working in the GIS or remote sensing domain for at least 2 years, bringing substantial knowledge about GIS and the principles of remote sensing. Experience with humanitarian geospatial communities and networks is an asset.
- You know the relevant software: You bring excellent knowledge of desktop GIS software (ArcGIS or QGIS) and have experience working with enterprise level GIS solutions, such as ArcGIS Enterprise or GeoServer. You have basic scripting skills, preferably in Python and R, or experience with FME. Experience in data science, especially deep learning, is a plus.
- You fit into the team: You are a team player excited to work in a multidisciplinary and multicultural team with excellent communication skills. You are fluent in English (written and oral), German and/or French is an asset. Your intercultural competences and superb analytical skills, including organization and attention to detail, complete your profile.
- You know MSF, its principles and identify with its values: Preferably you bring prior experience in humanitarian field operations, and you are committed to MSF, its values and structure.
- Unlimited position with paid lunch break and the possibility to work from home.
- You are part of a motivated team and make an important contribution to the worldwide humanitarian work of Médecins Sans Frontières.
- Modern workplace in the heart of Vienna (2nd district), other (international) work locations can be discussed.
- Annual “Wiener Linien” public transport ticket or a contribution of 365,- Euro to the “Klimaticket”
- Salary according to the salary scheme of MSF Austria: Minimum annual salary 33.430,- Euro gross p.a. based on 30 hours per week. There is a willingness to overpay up to 39.500,- Euro gross p.a., if you bring relevant qualifications and professional experience that go beyond the requirement profile.
- MSF Austria grants a monthly allowance for children under the employee’s custody if the child is entitled to family allowance.
Would you like to overcome obstacles together with us and show boundless commitment?
Then we look forward to receiving your application, including CV and letter of motivation (in which you describe how you meet the requirements), as soon as possible at [email protected].
Deadline Bewerbung: 31.03.2023 - 23:59