MSF Austria is looking for a Director of the Evaluation Unit & Lead Operational Support (f/m/d), fulltime, indefinite contract starting March 1st, 2020, based in Vienna.
The Vienna Evaluation Unit (VEU) today is one of few entities in the MSF movement exclusively dedicated to evaluations and other reviews. Since more than 10 years it manages and conducts different types of reviews, learning exercises and evaluations on all levels (project, transversal, organisational etc). It also has a focus on anthropological studies. Besides direct evaluation work, the unit aims to develop evaluation capacities through training and exchange of experience, and to promote a network of evaluators in the MSF movement. Today the VEU offers its services to all the MSF movement, with particularly close cooperation with the operational centres in Geneva (OCG) and Barcelona (OCBA), and contributes to the inter-sectional MSF evaluation group.
Moreover, MSF Austria (MSF-AT) has built expertise in other areas, including operational communications – capacity building support for MSF staff in field project in communications – as well as Geo-Information Systems (GIS) solutions. Further operational support areas may be identified and developed by MSF-AT going forward.
Your responsibilities (approx. 80% VEU; 20% Operational Support)
- Manage and guide the VEU team and strategically develop the VEU to contribute to learning and accountability in the MSF movement in the most effective and relevant way.
- Position the VEU as a centre of competence within the MSF movement and promote utilisation and follow up of evaluations/reviews and their results as inherent part of MSF operations.
- Oversee the management of evaluations and ensure highest level of quality of methodologies and processes of all evaluations and reviews.
- Build strong and trusting relationships in the field of evaluation with counterparts in operational centres and other MSF institutional members and ensure close cooperation and synergies with other entities as adequate.
- Network and collaborate with key stakeholders and resource persons inside and outside MSF in the field of evaluation, learning and accountability.
- Develop strategic partnerships in the overall field of operational support and develop MSF-AT strategic positioning in terms of operational support in the overall MSF-movement, ensuring relevance, comparative advantage and efficiency.
- Active member of MSF-AT’s management team.
- Extensive experience in the international humanitarian sector; experience with MSF is an advantage
- A strong commitment to the humanitarian principles, ideas, values, and goals of MSF
- Senior leadership and managerial experience in complex settings
- Extensive expertise and experience in managing and conducting evaluations
- Expertise in the medical field is an advantage
- Excellent communication, representation, and networking skills
- Excellent level of English required; excellent level of French is preferred
- Working erratic hours and frequent travelling may be necessary
- Opportunity to strategically develop evaluations and reviews as an integral part of MSF´s program support as well as strategically position MSF-Austria’s operational support offer
- A challenging strategic leadership position located in Vienna´s city centre
- Full-time and indefinite contract starting March 1st, 2020
- Management of a motivated and internationally well positioned team
- Management of international, cross- and intersectional evaluation activities
- Annual minimum gross salary of € 54,000.- with the possibility of higher payment depending on skills and experiences up to an annual maximum of € 63,000.- & annual ticket for public transport in Vienna
- Accommodation for the first 2 weeks if needed (for candidates living abroad)
- MSF-Austria also grants a monthly child allowance for children under the employee’s custody if the child is entitled to family allowance
Please send your application (including motivation letter & CV) until January 2nd, 2020 via email to [email protected]. Any questions related to this post are welcome at the same email address. Applications will be handled confidentially. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.