What we offer
Every employee has a personal contact person in the HR department of the Vienna office whom he or she can turn to before, during and after the assignment (or between assignments). In addition to organizational support around the foreign assignments, individual career development is also an important part of the personal support.
Employment contract, insurance and payment
- Temporary employment contract subject to social security contributions, including vacation entitlement
- A monthly salary of the same amount for all job professions during the first 12 months (e.g. for Austrian residents 1485,08 Euro gross per month). Please be aware that your salary might vary slightly depending on your country of residence.
- Starting the second year, your salary is adjusted based on your duties. Relevant previous professional experience is rated on a percentage basis.
- Comprehensive insurance package: international health insurance, repatriation service, occupational disability, life, luggage and personal and professional malpractice insurance
- In case of medical emergency, referral and transport to the nearest country with adequate medical standards or travel repatriation service to your home country
Further benefits during the assignment
- Free accommodation and meals in the project country
- Daily allowance in local currency to cover your daily expenses
- Payment of all mission-related travel expenses
- Vacation days that comply with respective labor laws. How and when you can take your vacation depends on the security situation in the respective country, the resources available and the workload. For visa and insurance reasons, it is not always possible to leave the project country while taking your vacation time
- Since the work is often very strenuous, many projects have so-called Rest & Recreation phases. The length and location of these periods are determined within the project
Support before the assignment
- Organization of travel arrangements: procurement of visas, flights, certificates for authorities and health insurance providers
- Tropical fitness examination, vaccinations, malaria prophylaxis
- Internal preparation course at Médecins Sans Frontières
- Information package and briefing on the security situation and rules of conduct in the country of assignment
- Project-related briefings and debriefings
Support after the assignment
- Coming back home from a field mission is not always easy, but you will be offered different types of support by our experienced staff members.
- Comprehensive debriefing by experienced staff and psychologists
- Medical check-up at the end of the project
- Administrative support if needed
We would be pleased if you would like to become active as a member of the association Ärzte ohne Grenzen Österreich after your project assignment.
In addition, after your mission, there are numerous opportunities through our press and events department to share your mission experiences with others at public events. In this way, we help not only with deeds but also with words.
Employees working in emergency relief are exposed to considerable physical and psychological stress. In addition to psychological debriefing, you will be contacted after deployment by specially trained volunteer colleagues of our peer support network. They have been through the process of coming back themselves and will provide you with the best possible support if needed.
Further training and career opportunities
- Individual career counseling by your Career Manager in Vienna
- Internal and external training
- Development opportunities within Médecins Sans Frontières
- We are particularly interested in professionals willing to make a long-term commitment to MSF and will do everything we can to support you in this endeavor.
Beyond that ...
- Working with MSF means that no day will be like the other. You will gain experience that will shape you, probably for a lifetime.
- You will be part of a professional, international and committed team. Every year, around 65,000 people from more than 130 countries work with us.
- You will perform meaningful work in an impartial and independent organization. For 50 years, Médecins Sans Frontières has been helping where help is needed the most