From caring for malnourished babies in a drought affected region of Africa through to conducting rounds to survey trauma patients in a large Ministry of Health hospital after a bout of conflict in the area, MSF’s doctors provide lifesaving care every day in our projects. You will not be facing these challenges alone – MSF provides expert technical support including extensive guidelines and protocols.
As a medical doctor your job will mainly be seeing patients and supervising local staff doctors, to whom you will also provide training and evaluation.
This might include:
- Doing basic consultations at a mobile clinic with possibly high numbers of patients every day
- Doing ward rounds in a hospital, as well as offering medical expertise to local staff medical doctors of different departments
- Working with very limited diagnostic tools and referral services
- Supporting medical data collection, analysis and reporting
- Developing and implementing relevant protocols
- Forecasting medical supply needs and managing medical stocks
Our projects offer opportunities in a range of contexts in which you can gain experience in various areas of practice – for example, HIV/AIDS and tuberculosis, nutritional programs or neglected diseases like Kala-azar or sleeping sickness.
- A completed specialization in general medicine / family medicine
- OR a minimum of 3 years clinical experience post graduation, in particular in the fields of general medicine, infectious diseases, pediatrics, internal medicine, surgery, gynecology/obstetrics and emergency medicine
- Ability to take medical responsibility for an entire team in situations where you may be the only doctor
- A good level of English
- Availability of at least 6 months
- Knowledge of tropical medicine, public health or infectious diseases is required for some regions. Therefore, we recommend attending a tropical medicine course.
- Clinical work experience in a low resource setting country might replace the course.
- Other language skills (French, Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Russian) are highly appreciated