From ensuring that finances are available to fund a fast scale-up of operations so that MSF can respond immediately to a natural disaster, through to making sure that finances are managed carefully, appropriately and in line with local laws in the country, MSF finance coordinators make sure that every department has what it needs to do the best job possible, no matter what happens.
As an MSF finance manager, you are responsible for the financial management of one or more MSF projects in a mission country. You work in close collaboration with the project team in the country thereby supporting the humanitarian work on the ground and are in regular exchange with the finance team in the operational centres. As a finance manager, you can be assigned to a project or after acquiring MSF field experience become part of the coordination team as a finance coordinator in which case you are located in the capital, while carrying out regular visits to the field projects.
Your tasks will include:
- Budget control (establishment and follow-up of budget and forecast)
- Supervision of the mission accounting
- Management of the cash flow and treasury
- Preparation of financial proposals in case of start-up or expansion of a project
- Effectiveness of the internal control system for finances
- Recruitment and development of the administrative team
Additionally, you support the project coordinators in all financial matters. This means that in any given country, you might be responsible for the finances of several projects. You validate payments to suppliers and to employees and thereby ensure the transparency of spendings.
You will be working alongside a local team. Being in the role of a manager, you will be supervising and continuously building the capacity of this small team.
- A degree in finance, management (business, HR), economics or administration
- Another diploma could be considered if proven experience in finance management
- At least 2 years post-qualification work experience in a related field
- Versatile professional experience (including bookkeeping, budgeting, financial planning and reporting)
- IT skills (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- A good level of English
- Availability of at least 6 to 12 months
- Experience in project management (including budget control)
- Experience with financial guidelines
- Good familiarity with software systems including databases (such as accrual-based accounting packages)
- Please note that in some missions the roles of HR management and financial management are combined. Therefore, we are preferably looking for people who meet the requirements of both positions.
- Other languages (French, Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Russian) are an asset